Japan's Top 10 Waifus (and Husbandos)

Recently, ANN of all places posted this interesting article of a survey conducted in Japan on which anime characters the respondents wished to marry. Most of the characters on the lists shouldn’t be particularly surprising, and its somewhat tilted toward currently running shows, but it’s amusing nonetheless.

top2

For those of you too lazy to click, here’s the waifu list:

1. Mio Akiyama (K-ON!)

2. Hinagiku Katsura (Hayate the Combat Butler)
  3. Taiga Aisaka (Toradora!)
  4. Rukia Kuchiki (Bleach)
  5. Yuki Nagato (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
  6. Azusa Nakano (K-ON!)
  7. Chrome Dokuro (Katekyo Hitman Reborn!)
  8. Sheryl Nome (Macross F)
  9. Yui Hirasawa (K-ON!)
  10. Asuka Langley Sohryu (Neon Genesis Evangelion)

Three of my top 5 waifus are shared (namely Mio, Hinagiku, and Yuki, and not necessarily in that order), but none of the rest approach top waifu status for me. The other members of my top 5 would be Rin and Kagami, of course. It’s unfortunate how fickle fans are, as the majority of choices are from currently running shows. Toradora was likely still running when this survey was conducted, and Macross F only ended a few months ago with a movie coming up. As for Eva, Anno is currently releasing all of those new movies that I haven’t seen…

top3

Husbandos:

1. Kyouya Hibari (Katekyo Hitman Reborn!)

2. Gintoki Sakata (Gintama)
  3. Toshiro Hitsugaya (Bleach)
  4. Mukuro Rokudo (Katekyo Hitman Reborn!)
  5. Sougo Okita (Gintama)
  6. Date Masamune (Sengoku Basara)
  7. Tsunayoshi Sawada (Katekyo Hitman Reborn!)
  8. Ichigo Kurosaki (Bleach)
  9. Sebastian Michaelis (Kuroshitsuji)
  10. Toushirou Hijikata (Gintama)

What also amuses me is the popularity of the Gintama men. I mean, the show’s humor is very, very low brow, with tons of toilet and sex humor. I would have figured that females would be turned off by that kind of material. Perhaps they are just so enamored with the sexy men that they don’t care? Is that like me watching K-ON because of Mio even though I find the quasi-plot to be dull and often just stupid?

Well readers, what are your thoughts and selections?

This entry was posted in Editorial, News, Random Stuff. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted June 13, 2009 at 10:19 am | Permalink

Whoa, I’m surprised Asuka made it (damned rorikons..), and more so that Taiga made third place o_o

And people want to marry Kurosaki? wha?

2. Posted June 13, 2009 at 10:21 am | Permalink

Whoa, I’m surprised Asuka made it (damned rorikons..), and more so that Taiga made 3rd place o_o

And people want to marry Kurosaki? wha?

3. Posted June 13, 2009 at 10:22 am | Permalink

Sheryl Nome would top my list. And Rukia from Bleach?? WTF? She’s tiny—both her sword and her… Try Inoue instead. Have you checked out the size of her … shield?!

4. Kikuri
    Posted June 13, 2009 at 10:36 am | Permalink

Hi, I just accidentally stumbled upon ur page. This is so cool! I wish HITSUGAYA can be husband. But, i don’t really get it? Nagato? Why?

5. Posted June 13, 2009 at 10:38 am | Permalink

…Tsunderes?

If people like being whipped dogs, sure…

Most of the rest make a ton of sense, though.

No comment fo the husband material, but this: LOL DATE MASAMUNE.

6. Posted June 13, 2009 at 11:26 am | Permalink

I think the basis on which the men were chosen was manliness. As such, manly men don’t make subtle wordplay jokes. They go with outright, offensive ones (eg: toilet / sex humor). They ride horses with exhaust pipes. Et cetera.

7. VSky
    Posted June 13, 2009 at 11:50 am | Permalink

This was interesting!! I’m a bit disappointed with the Groom List – I was expecting a variety of shows here. Except perhaps the last three, the rest of the names dont make much sense for me – I really wonder how this survey was conducted.
    I’m disappointed Ren Tsuruga was not on the list – he would so definately be my ideal groom! Sure the anime messed up his “handsome-ness” a bit (a lot) – but he’s defo a M-A-N in my opinion!! Haji from Blood + was equally impressive for me.
    Library wars had no shortage of “manly” men – was there something wrong with Komaki or Doujo? Tedzuka even – his cluelessness at times was kind of refreshing. That didnt make him less of a man in my opinion. Hei from Darker than Black was also cool!!
    If the basis for the groom list was “manliness” as described by Zeroblade above, then I’m quite disappointed. Nothing against Gin (the series and character are both good), but I would probably get fed up/embarassed of the non subtle jokes. But thats just me :P though I still think Ren and Haji could have made the list too!!

The Waifu list is atleast better – has 7 different series. Even if they are all from the recent shows!

8. Kaitune
    Posted June 13, 2009 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

For all of the girls (and most of the guys) I can kinda understand (almost none of them is on my own list), but I keep cackling myself to death picturing Gin as a husband. Well, apparently, Japanese girls have their own kind of taste.

9. Posted June 13, 2009 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

They should do a survey that excludes recent stuff, then my three favorite ladies from LoGH might have a chance.

10. Roy Mustang
    Posted June 13, 2009 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

Yui’s guitar is #1 for me.

I don’t recognize any of the characters on the male list.

11. OneSin
    Posted June 13, 2009 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

What??

No Furukawa Nagisa ????

12. llalaalal
    Posted June 13, 2009 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

And the already formet Nogizaka Haruka

13. Posted June 13, 2009 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Whoa… those are definitely interesting lists.
    And just to second VSky, how is Ren Tsuruga NOT on that list?
    But at least Sebastian is. That almost makes up for it.

14. Posted June 13, 2009 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

flKSJDFOS;IJLjdl:fjklsjdjuOU845U9389538R)((#*%)(uieoifjLEKJlfkjslkjskjdlU#OQ(*)Q#(%I)(RIUJAFladejaeq3o43quirejfdklej25o35uiraoj

15. meonlyme775
    Posted June 13, 2009 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

The fact that Yuki and Mio are on that list make me feel better about mankind. Like you said, a lot of the characters on the list aren’t quite top waifu status, but they’re still acceptable.

16. CatzCradle
    Posted June 13, 2009 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

Kyouya Hibari, Sebastian, and Toushirou Hijikata I could understand. Maybe even Okita because he’s so yandere-lovable.~ <3
    But for everything else, I could only laugh. xD

As a chick, I honestly don’t understand what so moe about Hinagiku. Plus, I’m also surprised Rei from NGE didn’t make the list while Asuka did.

17. Posted June 13, 2009 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

I laughed so hard at Date Masamune.

And why is Hitsugaga in the top 3? Just what is it about that loser white-haired kid that Japanese women/girls like?

None of my waifus are in the top ten, which is to be expected.

18. Posted June 13, 2009 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

@Bakaneko

I’d tend to agree with you, I find Rukia somewhat annoying. Plus I’ve always been a fan of uh, endowed women.

@DrmChsr0

I guess the girls put their guns on.

@Zeroblade

Mmmm, I guess, I dunno man I still don’t get it. Very few of my female friends appreciate dirty jokes, maybe they are rabu rabu inside about it?

@Ilikewhiterice

Mmmm, I love LOGH, but I wouldn’t want to make any of the women on that show mai waifu. Even Annerose is way too fragile for my tastes. For space opera women I’d much more prefer Banner/Crest of the Stars.

@OneSin

Another KyoAni show has overtaken Clannad unfortunately.

@Lelangir

Be careful your head doesn’t break the keyboard.

@Meonlyme775

Pretty much, the bottom half of the list isn’t my favorite, but at least they are acceptable. The bottom half of my list would be populated by the likes of Kotomi and Mai for instance.

@CatzCradle

Reliable onee-sama tsundere? A tough girl on the outside who stands up to everyone but really just wants to make you some chocolates and show her feminine side? Moe~

@Panther

Why is he popular? Shotacons. That’s pretty much it.

19. Kobukson
    Posted June 13, 2009 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

To be honest, I’m not surprised Asuka made the list while Rei didn’t, but I would’ve preferred a switch obviously :P

Personally, I’m pretty disappointed that Mai from Kanon failed to make the list (actually I’m surprised that no girl from Kanon made the list at all). She combines a good chunk of the appeals of Yuki and Rukia while having a more evident feminine side (as shown by the plot arc). But then again, I guess more Mai for me ^^

20. Zarggg
    Posted June 13, 2009 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

Konata is mai waifu. :[

21. Posted June 13, 2009 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

I would never marry a tsundere. EVER!

22. Posted June 14, 2009 at 12:46 am | Permalink

I was reading the same article in ANN and it seems that the survey was active for a timespan of 5 days, from May 28 to June 1, so I think it’s unlikely that Taiga was chosen because it was still airing.

Anyway, my list would be something like this, taking from the prospect of actual waifu habilities.

1 – Ui (K-On)
    2 – Koyoi (Hatsukoi Limited
    3 – NanoFate Combo ( from the new ViVid manga ) – In such case, I don’t mind being the puppy. XD

23. Myu
    Posted June 14, 2009 at 12:58 am | Permalink

Who the hell participated in that survey…? There are so many characters to choose from, but the lists are downright boring.

24. random passing dude
    Posted June 14, 2009 at 4:30 am | Permalink

Ah so ranka loses in the end. A long war has finally come to an end. Gz nome fans.

25. vin-nii
    Posted June 14, 2009 at 4:45 am | Permalink

as usual. Hina ftw

26. Nemo
    Posted June 14, 2009 at 7:57 am | Permalink

That list doesn’t make much choice to me… Was it open selection, or restricted to a list ? Why so many keion characters ? Mio is ok I guess, but Yui ? Seriously ?
    And then, even though like all otakus I love lolis.. Taiga ? Seriously ? an uninterestingly dull and baka tsundere… Sheryl Nome, shallow as they go, though I guess in such a poorly written and stupidly retarded anime as Macross was, she’s top cream.

I really look forward to next year’s list, with Queen’s blade blacksmith girl making it number 1. He body figure is so deranging even a pervert like me felt ill at ease watching her.

The “girls’ choice list” isn’t even worth commenting. Either men got to vote, or there is something deeply wrong with japanese women. Though if you think about it, most male anime characters are so retarded it kinda makes sense in the end ; indecisive, slow, whiny dudes, short-fused retards and protecting dumbasses, they guys sure show them the way it’s meant to be loved.

27. hikarutsukino
    Posted June 14, 2009 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

WHAT?! NO BELLDANDY, how can not want a first class goddess whose NEVER complain as wife? …stupid tsundere-lolicons.

As for husbands at least could had include Patrick

28. yaku
    Posted June 14, 2009 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

I don’t watch, Katekyo Hitman Reborn (kinda wanted to, but the series is too far ahead), Gintama because the humor never got me laughing and stopped watching Bleach due to vast amounts of fights and “we’re all cool so no one is special anymore”. To me, this list of husbandos doesn’t make justice to the huge amount of great male characters that are out there.

This lists clearly show what people are into now (current shows), not what they would seriously consider as husbandos or waifus. I’d make a list taking into account all kinds of anime from all times, but as you said people are fickle.

29. Posted June 14, 2009 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

*Stares at the top 10 wives list*
    Jesus christ…I wouldn’t even touch these women with a 10 foot pole, let alone want them as a wife!

That said however, I would totally go gay for Date.

30. panda
    Posted June 15, 2009 at 1:36 am | Permalink

No Code Geass?
    The groom list seems to have been influenced by a particular group of young teens that only read Shounen Jump…

31. Posted June 15, 2009 at 5:12 am | Permalink

I’m not surprised that the majority of the waifu are from running shows either. So pretty much all husbandos are from shounen shows? I figure that the list would be made of popular shoujo anime/manga characters instead.

@CatzCradle
    This puzzles me too. I’ve always liked Rei better than Asuka.

@panda
    I’m shocked as well that there aren’t any CG character up there either considering how it is.

32. Sacchi
    Posted June 15, 2009 at 9:34 am | Permalink

Hinagiku-chan :3

33. Anon
    Posted June 15, 2009 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Taiga Aisaka (Toradora!)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

34. Blue
    Posted June 15, 2009 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

WHy would anyone want Yui for a wife? She can hardly take care of herself. Unless the men voting like that kind of helpless female.

I’m surprised by the husbands list. With the exception of Tsuna (and maybe Hitsugaya) most of the men on that list are either rather intimidating or just awkward. I know I wouldn’t be able to get on with most of them.

35. Posted June 15, 2009 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Kyon should be the only husbando.

36. Posted June 15, 2009 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

Ladies love Gin. And Gin loves Shonen Jump.

(Bears mentioning that there are a lot more girls reading Jump than there are guys reading girls’ mags.)

37. EXM
    Posted June 15, 2009 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

You know japan has horrible taste when Yui is up there, instead of Ui. That’s just blasphemy, since Ui would make the perfect waifu, whereas Yui is just the female equivalent of a deadbeat husbando.

38. limewarrior
    Posted June 15, 2009 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Rukia is my waifu… and she made it on the list!

How can Hitsugaya be a husbando? he’s mature, but he’s like 12!

39. Posted June 15, 2009 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

I’m happy Gintoki is up there. He is way hot. If it’s boys from shonen series, I wonder why Rononoa Zoro, or Shikamaru aren’t on there They are pretty awesome as well.

Thinking about the survey, if the general population was asked, a lot of girls probably don’t watch as much anime as boys, so the popular shonen characters that are easy to come to mind will show up first. Gintama is also targeted at an older audience than the kiddies so that will hit more of the people surveyed. And sure Gintama has a lot of low jokes, but it actually respects women pretty well. Kaugra has got to be one of the most awesome female heroines ever. She doesn’t have to dress and act all pretty and fake like all the rest. She just a crazy bad ass.

40. 13sugars
    Posted June 15, 2009 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

I’ve been having a lousy day but this entry just cheered me up lots. The waifu list is understandable and acceptable. However, the creation of the husbando list is a terrible crime… except for Date Masamune. I’m crying because of him. My stomach hurts :D

41. yaku
    Posted June 15, 2009 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

@limewarrior: >>but he’s like 12!

He looks 12, there’s a difference. All shinigami are centuries older than what they appear, so physical age doesn’t relate to actual age in years.

42. catface210
    Posted June 16, 2009 at 4:57 am | Permalink

Dude, I would pick Takasu Ryuuji. I mean, come on! He cooks, cleans and is a really nice guy over-all. I say that that is my kind of husband. lol
    Of course, people like what they like, so therefore the list. And those who say why, haven’t you seen their fandoms?! They’re huge! And that is why they are on the list. lol
    I wouldn’t mind the guys from Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu. I really like them too. Kurosaki Ichigo is adorable and admirable, so yeah.
    I also usually end up liking visual novel guys, because, I don’t know, the situations in those and the story maybe? It’s meant for you to like them anyway.
    And yeah, I like a guy who has the balls to do something. Shy guys are sometimes cute, but too much of that gets annoying. Makes you feel too much like a man. So courageous guys are pretty good. I don’t watch Gintama, but that’s what I think about guys that make sex jokes or something. The fact that they’re not afraid to say something like that and that they’re comfortable around you is something I like. I just join right in with them. So maybe that’s it? I don’t know. I don’t watch it.

43. catface210
    Posted June 16, 2009 at 5:01 am | Permalink

Also I agree with Panda, NO CODE GEASS?! Suzaku and Lelouch. Love ‘em both. I knew I was forgetting two more!

44. yukino
    Posted June 16, 2009 at 8:32 am | Permalink

I can sort of understand the male point of view on waifus, but Rukia?? I love Rukia, but I just thought men would prefer Orihime more. o.o I guess men’s taste has become more refined. :]

I’m even more shocked at the husbandos list. Sebastian is definitely on my list ;)but I’m surprised by the rest of the choices. Gintama guys might look good but I don’t see where the rest of the appeal comes from (But I really can’t say because I pretty much dropped the series at ep 3). Also, out of all the Bleach men they picked an elementary-looking guy and the one-move main character who has even lower sex appeal than the chibi mentioned afore. Even Renji and Aizen are better choices. -.- My list would’ve included Urahara, but that’s personal taste :p

Perhaps I’m too harsh. Afterall Ichigo and Hitsugaya did win top ten in the most recent Bleach fav. character poll. Hitsugaya ranked #1 too.

45. Lia
    Posted June 17, 2009 at 1:10 am | Permalink

NO TOMOYA!? Women are so stupid when picking a man. O-o Even Hitsugaya is weird as a choice…Ichigo…meh…works…Sebastian, if your love goes through your stomach. BUT NO TOMOYA? O_O I am ashamed to be called a woman right now.
    And shame on the lolicons. You give up on Matsumoto for Yui? O_o

• Darkfireblade25
      Posted June 9, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

@Lia I know! it makes me not wanna ever consider a japanese girl to be a wife at all. I really respect tomoya as a person. i mean, he’s a great father, a wonderful husband that would do anything for his wife and is fking hilarious to boot. any girl can guarantee that their kids would be raised well, they will be loved to death and would never get bored of the relationship. and another important thing that ppl underestimate is the RELATABILITY. sure BA ppl and stars are wonderful and all but that doesn’t mean u can relate to them and they to u. just won’t connect ya know? tomoya has the same background as any normal person and would understand his wife completely.

Props to you on your husbando choice. I wish you the best and hope you have a wonderful future.

46. God
    Posted June 22, 2009 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

CHROME DOKURO FTW *W*!

47. Marigold Ran
    Posted June 23, 2009 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

Do they also, uh, provide information on the ACTUAL marital status of the people who responded to the survey?

48. soyahoney
    Posted June 24, 2009 at 2:54 am | Permalink

I was hoping for Immortal Colosaur to be in the list at least he wouldn’t go off running to kill people without my permission if I were his wife.

Sebastian Michaelis is certainly good husband material. I wonder if a special pact is needed to be with him?

As for the waifus how in the world did Yui get there? No offense, but she would be better in a list for top (forgetable/clumsy, but still moe) female characters for ’09.

Why do I have a feeling that pedo otakus who occasionaly play gal games took that survey? No offense…again.

I like the idea that people would consider Asuka Langley Sohryu. I like her pride and willingness as well as her sensitive side.

49. SurprisedNOT!
    Posted July 17, 2009 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

Yeah Rukia rocks I’m not a guy and that’s NOT how I roll but she’s awesome
    wow…..Kyouya? Seriously? Not a surprise but uh….I hate the guy personally I mean he can be cool but
    he ….can be annoying
    I have no prob with Mukuro though…
    Tsuna HELL YEAH !!! he rocks
    Gintoki!!!!!! Of course and Hitsugaya that’s a no brainer
    Wish Hayato Gokudera was on this list he’s smart smexy loyal and such!!!!

50. Nagamasa
    Posted April 15, 2010 at 9:34 am | Permalink

MIO? MIO MIOOOOO?! FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

mai waifu has been beaten DX