Why do you hate anime so much? Why?

null
Kill all anime fans. Kill them all!

I read DannyChoo’s entry on Anime Haters and wondered about something that seems to be common among the complains. It’s the phrase Naruto. Before you think that this is an entry that I will go about bashing or worshiping Naruto, this is perhaps the last time you will read of that word in this entry (or perhaps second last). I started off a more serious relationship with anime through the viewing of you guess it, Naruto. I used to have quite a few misconceptions about anime but more about that later.

Before I start going on an incoherent rant, I will just like to explore the reasons that people use to justify their hatred. A quick look at previous entries writing about this topic mostly focuses on why or why anime do not suck, but it misses something important. What are the reasons why the haters particularly hate them, be it rational or irrational? I am not going to challenge any of these possible explanations too much. I prefer to leave you to give evidence whether they have any empirical validity.

I hate cute things with big eyes

One of the common things that I hear from haters is that animation is orientated toward making the girls as cute as they possibly can. Most of people who dislike anime considers this to be mere pandering to an audience who cannot care less about a story. They believe that you might as well watch Tom & Jerry, Spongebob Squarepants or Shrek if you want some nice cuteness. In fact, let’s just watch Mickey Mouse! The shows are generally empty and is devoid of plot. It’s just for cuteness, as they all say.

It’s those obnoxious fans

Many know of me as an anime blogger, but a little known fact is that I used to hate anime. That past is not that far away. I do not just hate anime. I hate the people who view it, considering them no more than socially deprived people who I can scent a mile away. I always have the hatred for the extreme fans (who the haters consider to be the general serious anime fan) who literally force anime down your throat. Needless to say, my hatred of anime developed even more with those fakers who try to go “Sugoi ne, Naruto-san!” on me. Sorry, I do not think you are cute. I still don’t.

It’s hentai!

Another misguided conception I had in the past is that I assume all anime is an exploitation of the female gender, creating sexual scenes of breasts, panties and innuendo (Guess what anime I watch on television then. A hint, it starts with L, and the second word starts with H). The thing with many anime is the notion of fanservice. There are some that are blatant, some that are contextual and some that are in the gray area. Nonetheless, the amount of ridiculous fanservice to make otakus go in fervent stupidity can turn people off. That includes me.

It’s for kids

It might be the Pixel productions in America. It might be the many popular anime shows that cater to the public. As haters often look at a small part of the pie to make a hasty stereotype, it is quite easy to state that anime are for kids simply by Inuyasha, Bleach, Naruto and Digimon. I mean, those are the few Japanese animation series that haters know due to popularity. Tell them about Simoun, Serial Experiment Lain and they will still tell you it’s for kids.

It’s bad graphics compared to GREAT AMERICAN ANIMATION

The title says it all. People often talk about how great american animation is. I am just wondering with the amount of budget that the major animation companies in USA can spend, they are wasting it on absolute run-of-the-mill series. Nonetheless, they often talk about old school anime such as Akira or the Miyazaki series.

Anime is for yaoi!

A common perception, due to the rabid yaoi fangirls that can literally suffocate a man to death with her weight (yes, a stereotype), is that animation is often about boy love. I am not sure where that conception comes from, but I have heard it from some people about this.

Anime is for hate!

Everything is allocated toward anime as an invasion by the eastern hemisphere. Used to cultural imperialism through Hollywood and their highly serialized series, anime is a natural jerk reaction toward the east. It’s nationalism.

This entry was posted in Editorials, Life. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Cherubium
    Posted May 4, 2008 at 6:50 am | Permalink

Wow people are morons. Well this just reminds me about everything I learnt in psychology. Well I like anime and I just get annoyed at the “It’s for kids” part cos its quite sad for anime to be only shown like that in the western audience.

2. Posted May 4, 2008 at 6:51 am | Permalink

Oh, good lord. I was hoping that post of mine would never, ever see the light of day again. I really, really don’t know what I was on that day. Thanks for bringing up bad memories, Impz :P

3. Posted May 4, 2008 at 6:58 am | Permalink

Well, it does go without saying that time spent watching anime is time that could be better spent doing something productive. Those anime fans, what a slacking lot.

4. Posted May 4, 2008 at 7:04 am | Permalink

well… thing is most narutards are mostly to blame (sorry naruto fans), but then again, it was just like this when dragonball became the thing to people of the previous generation. ~actually in the philippines, it was that and yuyu hakusho – a totally hacked up version of it. the thing is we can’t really blame any of them. most people would consider this as “my first anime” (mine was candy candy <3

anyway, people who first get into anime often assume that in order to be a true blue anime fan, they have to talk the talk and walk the walk, sprouting out random japanese phrases as if they were fluent and doing other random japanese stuff because they’re supposedly cool. (actually, i would consider myself guilty of this but i did it because i was trying to learn japanese not just to make an illusion i know it.)

by the way, i started out young but gave it up when i was 22. i thought it was high time that i became “normal”. i hated being normal because i felt like being such a fake. at least when i was 26 and returned to this lifestyle, i was happier and more real to myself.

but the thing that really really pisses me off about some people i know who know i’m an anime fanatic say that i shouldn’t be watching childish cartoons anymore becuase i’m 20++ when they would watch crappy soap operas with no real entertainment value and eat up the latest disney release because it’s so COOL – this is my country anyway.

5. Posted May 4, 2008 at 7:15 am | Permalink

Anime does suck, and I do hate it, and I’m trying to form a cogent argument but it’s an Impz post and my anger is just seeping out—

6. Posted May 4, 2008 at 7:24 am | Permalink

Well, there certainly are arguments you could make… (not gonna make them here since I’m pretty sure it’s my opinion that anime doesn’t suck) but just as a “narutard” is not necessarily a great cross section of anime fans, the Internet At Large isn’t a great way to get a sampling of the best opinions the world or the US has to offer.

It’s mostly based in ignorance — and that’s a tough call. By its very nature, this kind of ignorance is hard to change because it’s willful or intentional ignorance. A lot of people who are now fans have similar stories to yours.

That’s why people are still so hung up on Akira. 20 years later, it’s still changing opinions. But even the praise of Western movie critics and theatrical releases in the States are no match for that willful ignorance and the mob mentality of a page of YouTube comments.

7. Posted May 4, 2008 at 7:28 am | Permalink

I think alot of my friend don’t like anime, or think I’m strange for watching, because of reasons like “It’s for kids” and the whole huge eye things. To be honest, you can’t blame them as there are series like that, and often the more childish and shounen type series are the ones that get really popular. Really, it’s just a case of accepting it before finding other anime and realising there are in fact better things than inuyasha and naruto (:D) and actually a wide variety of anime out there. Furthermore, don’t stereotype Yaoi fangirls. Yes, there are some annoying ones out for the most part Yaoi fangirls are, surprisingly, normal. :D

8. Posted May 4, 2008 at 7:39 am | Permalink

Which writer is this? I thought THAT is supposed to show the avatar of the writer. Anyway, the show you watch is LONELY HOUSEWIVES. Or Lusty Hornet. Or Lolita Hamburgers. Or Lord Hoffman. Or Lathering Hussy. Or Love Honey.

Pixel (Pixar I hope you mean) is not for kids. Anime is for otaku. Robbie Williams is a damn good seiyuu. He can do like 30 different accents and voices unlike the useless Japanese.

9. Posted May 4, 2008 at 7:40 am | Permalink

How dare you JUMP THE GUN impz.

Come see me in MY OFFICE later.

10. kct
    Posted May 4, 2008 at 7:41 am | Permalink

Needs a RAGE-O-METER.

11. Anca
    Posted May 4, 2008 at 7:52 am | Permalink

Bleach and not-filler Naruto are actually good. Dunno about Inuyasha. Digimon is a chilhood love of mine. I don’t know any western TV-Series that can compare to even Digimon (let alone the other three) in character development and plot consistency, and I’ve watched a lot.

It seems to me that it’s just the old ‘Oh, I’watched/heard about that one japanese cartoon. ALL of them are like that!’, or ‘I’ve heard they promote pedophilia, violence and sex. And they’re right! I’ve seen that episode of Rama or Rana or whatever my son watched, it has scantily clad 12yr olds brutally fighting!”. Worst? Without going deep into anime, you can’t convince them otherwise. Monster? Killings, the occasional torture, ‘promotion’ of killing. Escaflowne? Fantasy, violence, giant robots, you ‘have’ to fight. Evangelion? Sexualisation of children, giant fighting robots. You’ll say ‘but these aren’t what these series are about!’. We know that. They don’t, and this is what they’ll see.

People as a rule don’t look beneath the surface – I couldn’t even convince my mother to watch The Last Unicorn, Spirited Away or Howl’s Moving Castle. Simoun and Lain? Those ain’t gonna change anyone’s opinion of anime.

12. JC
    Posted May 4, 2008 at 7:55 am | Permalink

As someone who can remember the days when Speed Racer first played on stations here in the US… *cough*

Yeah, people tend to write anime off purely on the look of anime as well as the fact that it’s a cartoon. Cartoons are for kids. Or at least that’s been the long-held conventional wisdom in the entertainment industry here in the US. I think it’s more of a problem with the general perception of animation in the industry more than anything else.

I have to say though that I think that the perception IS gradually changing. The Disney films (especially Pixar) always tend to add humor that is geared toward older members of the audience (like subtle contextual jokes and cultural references). More and more cartoons come out here in the US that are geared toward adults (Simpsons, etc.)

Eventually, people are going to see that anime isn’t all about the kiddie oriented (i.e. Pokemon) stuff. The cable channel Cartoon network is adding anime to their late weekend lineups that is geared toward the adult crowds.
    Even though there are a lot of haters out there, I think that the perception toward anime is improving. After all, places that sell DVDs like Best Buy have opened up entire sections for anime.

You do have an interesting point about the East vs. West aspect… I hadn’t thought of that. After all, most anime does reference Japanese life and cultural values that are very foreign here. (I mean, I don’t think Americans are ever going to understand the fascination with school girl uniforms or underwear… As a female, I personally cringe.)

13. Posted May 4, 2008 at 8:01 am | Permalink

@Cherubium: By the way, this might or might not be true. Some of the things that have been mentioned in this post came from my own perspective. I was just like them, happily stereotyping because it is easy to.

@Digikerot: heh, yes. Da pimp lurker ftw. P/s: I just had fun reading your marmalade and digicharat reviews for eons ago.

@Nagato: heh, of course, like fap..i mean nap.

@Biankita: I didn’t come into any true anime viewing until my university at 21. Hence, to me, anime viewing is a good past time while I spend most of my time on work, friends, socializing and teaching.

It’s quite interesting that my friends have an assumption of anime fans being exactly how you say: walk the talk. I do not cosplay, cosplay events do not interest me, i don’t play much ero-games, i don’t have much merchandise, i don’t worship Japan, i could care less about meido cafes and I do not think japanese culture is superior. There’s many do not right there.

I am sure that there’s something up there that makes sense.

@Lk: quit tsundering and just say you love me. Bitch.

@Otou: Well, I think most of the ignorance has some element of truth. When you see anything in public, the first thing is either the rowdy anime fans or the cosplayers that are like x_x. It’s usually the spectacular that captures the attention of the people. Bad for us, good for them perhaps?

@Saya: It’s also the problem of mainstream anime that are popular. Most of them have wafer-thin plots. I cannot blame them for their misguided judgment because all the geninuely good series are like unknown. Why do they have to bother making such a huge effort to find them?

By the way, I will never stereotype yaoi fangirls. My girlfriend is a mild one, and she’s the most adorable girl that I will ever meet. In addition, she’s very slim and has a good figure. So not fat too. rofl.

@TJ: LOLZ. More like Loli Tunes. Pixel, pixar, whatever. It’s good I did not call them Pi sai.

14. PhuzyBuny
    Posted May 4, 2008 at 8:07 am | Permalink

Ignorance is the main driving force for any such hate groups. There are some animes that do follow the above conventions however this is just a small portion of the thousands upon thousands of series. The great series like Ergo Proxy, Death Note, Mushishi all have their own respectable fan base. They explore the anime world to tell a story like none other.

15. Onizuka
    Posted May 4, 2008 at 8:09 am | Permalink

“people hate/fear what they do not understand” forgot who said this :p

16. Posted May 4, 2008 at 8:19 am | Permalink

@Drm: arr, headmaster of hatred and lulz. Will do, yes sire, will do.

@Kct: It’s measured to be 0.5 on the LULZ FOR MUDKIEDPZ scale.

@Anca: Wow, you sum up the hate I have of stupid people. Win.

@JC: Let me relate an example to you. I was watching Mushishi and a relative who is slightly above my age came in. She saw it and just said “why are you still watching cartoons?”. I rest my case.

I never elaborated on the east vs west case too much because it is a whole can of worms that I am not well equipped in my knowledge to discuss on. I personally believe that the many fetishes and culture displayed in anime is a cognitive dissonance to the western life.

If you ask me, that can be one of the resisting thoughts within western viewers. I feel strongly despite the amount of globalization that is happening, the amount of nationalism in the western countries is very strong. It’s hard to break down an existing culture from the outside.

17. Posted May 4, 2008 at 8:31 am | Permalink

Does it, you know, matter that people hate anime? Just to try to ask a wierd question.

18. KaeBoo
    Posted May 4, 2008 at 8:32 am | Permalink

over-indulgence is always unhealthy, whether it be anime, or any other obsession.

Most anime fans who over indulge are indeed scary. It is as though they have their own little world and they don’t open their doors to anyone else… but then again, anime is just misunderstood in most countries, I guess.

It also does not help whenever one would remember the infamous case of one Tsutomu Miyazaki who was also known as the Otaku Murderer (wikipedia, ann news) He was known to be a mild-mannered person during daytime and he was also known to be an anime fan. His infamous case gave the anime fans a really bad name.

There are lots of misconceptions as it has already been mentioned. It reaffirms the fact that there are people who love it and people who hate it… but like any other genre, you can always choose which ones appeal to your tastes.

80′s animation was mostly “kiddie” stuff. and you can’t blame anything animated to be labeled as such, especially from parents who grew up in the pre-colored TV days.

you can educate people… but then again, you can always choose to simply shrug them off.

19. Posted May 4, 2008 at 8:36 am | Permalink

I assume anime is in the same situation as, say, video games. Alternative forms of entertainment that is often misunderstood. The problem is that video games are now a multi-billion dollar business, and so there are big wigs siding with the game otaku folk whenever a social issue comes up, like violence and sex in games. GTAIV is a prime current example, an example of how a game or company shows a huge middle finger at uninformed and retarded anti-videogame pundits and at the same time popular enough to crash the mainstream audience.

Anime, probably especially in the western world, does not have too much financial and social backing. There is no single aspect of anime that can reach mainstream mold and at the same time deliver a social message that cries out to all the close-minded people out there to stop treating it like either kids entertainment or overly violent or sexual crap.

20. Posted May 4, 2008 at 8:48 am | Permalink

@phuzy: I beg to disagree. I think that many of the current shows coming out of japan are tried and tested series just changed in a different format. That’s nothing wrong by the way, because many of them are done well. However, the biggest audience of anime are viewing the few series that are popular. It’s the long tail effect (check it on wiki)

@onizuka: Bruce Lee, i think.

@IKnight: Using Sun Tzu’s strategy, in order to convert the enemy, you have to know the enemy. It’s a deep down conspiracy to hunt them down and CONVERT THEM INTO NARUTARDS, WAHAHAHAHA. Seriously though, knowing what they are ignorant gives you a better understanding of what’s wrong. Of course there are people who hate for the sake of hating. Many are misguided.

@KaeBoo: Well said. The thing with the media is that it aims to show the sensational side of things. For every 1000 normal nice anime fans, you have one with a Death note book and aims to kill people. For every smart anime fan, you have a retarded person who is going to jump off a building thinking he is Naruto with rasengan.

Who cares about the nice things? The controversial, sensational news is the one that will earn them the money. Why do a citizen want to know about how good anime is? They prefer to know why a serial killer is killing people. OH, HE WATCHES VIOLENT SHIGURUI AND HIGARASHI. oh yes!

@Bluemist: I have a firm belief that animation is never going to be mainstream. If it is considered to be peripheral even in its land of creation, I cannot imagine it to be loved by any other country. That’s my view on it.

21. Posted May 4, 2008 at 9:06 am | Permalink

But in the end who cares about opinion of some retards who probably spend their entire time into some mmorpg or some other surrogate of social life (don’t get me wrong, i’ve gone myself through wow, lineage etc, but the difference is number of hours of playing).

Imho if you have time to go around and shout about how you hate anime you have way too much of unused time on your hands <.<

22. Hei
    Posted May 4, 2008 at 9:33 am | Permalink

I am a closet otaku because of anime hater, most of my friends don’t know I still watch anime I mean since they think anime is for kids and all I guess a high schooler can’t watch it anymore. I mean they all watch family guy and south park which are all funny but they’re pretty f’ed up. I mean in family guy we see Cartman grind up parents and feed it to their child. However the media thinks the show teaches people lessons I mean wth? and instead they choose to attack us anime fans. Calling it vulgar which is because of overdose of fan service. Which I generally stay away from but I still get my share watching Code Geass, Macross, and such Yes I’m a mecha fan

23. tzhuge
    Posted May 4, 2008 at 9:37 am | Permalink

Seems like the anime community has a bit of an inferiority complex. I bet there’s quite an overlap between those who hate anime and those who hate Disney, and that demographic matches the core demographic of anime pretty closely. Impz seems like a pretty good example of this. It’s pretty hard to hate something you’re apathetic about and I think the majority of the public is apathetic towards anime (so nothing to get up in arms about).

On a side note, I think the anime community should be more honest, and accept that anime is more or less for kids. That’s not to say there aren’t deep and mature animes, but if you look at any one season, I think it’s pretty easy to see what the primary target audience is. That’s not a bad thing, because the best works speak to a wide audience and there’s nothing wrong with being accessible to kids. That being said though, some of the prepubescent humor and the overflowing amounts of teen angst is holding the whole genre back.

I am optimistic that animation will become more mainstream, especially as cg effects improve and more traditional movie content is animated. However, I suspect that Pixar rather than anime will be responsible for bringing it into mainstream.

24. Posted May 4, 2008 at 11:07 am | Permalink

I hate anime because it turned me into a depraved pedophile with several other demented fetishes.

ヽ(;´Д`)ノ

25. Dm
    Posted May 4, 2008 at 11:12 am | Permalink

It’s just for kids: Did these same people ever watch Gunslinger Girl or Elfen Lied?

Bad graphics: Japan animates FAR MORE shows than the U.S., so I would understand.

It’s hentai: so it’s okay for U.S. movies and TV shows to show nudity, but not animation? Why get so worked up over it?

Obnoxious fans: Fewer anime fans, more scrutiny.

Animation going mainstream: I think it is possible, but it will take a LOT of people (especially the anime fans) to get together and use their own talents to grow it.

26. Posted May 4, 2008 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Well, a couple of those reasons are pretty much true. Most anime fans are very obnoxious, at least the mainstream ones. Go ahead and wander over to the ANN forums or to an anime convention, you’ll find plenty. As for animation quality, the US does dominate Japan in quality. If you look at shows like The Simpsons, Family Guy, Futurama, etc. they just have better budget and techniques that result in higher quality. I mean, the last Simpsons move had a budget of $75 million. Now, a lot of that was voice talent and non-animation stuff, but there were tens of millions thrown into animation quality that wasn’t far removed from your average weekly episode.

27. Coaxen
    Posted May 4, 2008 at 11:22 am | Permalink

I would look for the reasons deep in the space between the ears.
    It has been proved that a great majority of our decisions are made subconsciously. Not only that – we seem to use our reason to justify those decisions.

With this, it’s easy to assume that these reasons you mentioned in the post are just the haters’ attempt to use their brains and seem to be rational. And, if a reason seem to be stupid – it suggests that those haters aren’t smart enough to come up with anything more rational.

It applies to everyone, of course. For example, I hate most of the action movies and ridiculously long series you can see these days in TV – and I don’t know why. Maybe because anime is better? ;)

28. PhuzyBuny
    Posted May 4, 2008 at 11:38 am | Permalink

If you do choose to watch the train wrecks like Dragonaut then yes there are a lot of those animes coming out recently. I never liked watching the overused and atypical animes that explore nothing new. However, this is true for any industry that tells stories. There will be good and there will be bad. This isn’t a justification to hate anime though. Hate is a strong resentment and I don’t think one can call it hate until they see both sides. I understand where some of these comments come from but then again there are those amazing animes that just make this world so much more interesting. Storytelling; don’t blame the medium if the content is bad.

29. Posted May 4, 2008 at 11:54 am | Permalink

I just hate anime ’cause it’s stupid. All you ‘otaku’ idiots who waste time writing about anime and talking about it and other lame nonsense. You should get a life and spend your time doing something more productive and beneficial to society…like training an army of talking, mutant police ponies to fight crime. Damn right.

ANIME IS STUPID! GO SH*T A BRICK!

30. Production I.G. fan
    Posted May 4, 2008 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

If all anime had as good english voice acting as Cowboy Bebop, that would probably help.

As most people already know television aims to get as wide or large an audience as possible (for ad revenue), therefore the obsession with never ending ‘kiddy’ anime shows.

As far as 2d animation quality or style goes, I’d take Japanese animation any time for style, creativity or innovation.

Also one watching of Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen should be enough to refute all points in Impz post.

31. JC
    Posted May 4, 2008 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

@Impz: Sheesh… and Mushishi is one of the better “mature” animes out there. I’ve been lucky in the fact that my family and friends know of my interest, but don’t ding me too much for it. My brother can’t complain since he’s a Disney freak. Heh…

I have a very diverse (nationality wise), open group of acquaintances so most of them are cool about my interest in it. Of course, it also comes with the fact that we acknowledge that most of us are on the “nerd” end of the scale. But maybe that’s part of the problem too… Marginalizing interest in anime as being part of a particular social group makes it easier to dismiss and diminish. And yeah, it doesn’t help when rabid fans do all sorts of crazy stuff like you mention.

32. Posted May 4, 2008 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Some people refuse to eat eggs because it’s “chicken-shit”. Some suddenly refuse to drink milk because cow-titty-milk is gross. Some people even refuse to eat meat, will never watch anime, and thinks the world is made up by cotton candy.

They also say a good laugh makes you live longer. The aforementioned people makes me laugh alot <3

33. Kururu
    Posted May 4, 2008 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

“people hate/fear what they do not understand” forgot who said this :p

That’s pretty much it……

34. Posted May 4, 2008 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

I like some animated US shows as well. It’s not better or worse, it’s just different. I wouldn’t say it’s wasted money but I guess it depends on what you think quality is. But if they last more than a season, some people like them.

The Narutards will always bug me, as well as any fan that tries to convert.

35. Posted May 4, 2008 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

yea, I hate this stuff since it steals away my life…… and I let it D:

I never realized that Narutards reflect so badly, since A) I’m pre-Naruto anime/manga fan, B) never encounter Narutards (btw I feel retarded typing that, you have violated me) C) the only super memorized Naruto viewer I know is 7; and still he isn’t a Narutardo

Out of all the arguments the Narutards is the only one I see valid, since people generalize by nature. Though, if you would have stated something about “stealing time” yea, I think some of my non-anime fan friends would argue that… they don’t like it because it seems to require a ton of time… valid :/

36. Posted May 4, 2008 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

nice summary of the hates there, but within the anime society, there’s much hype about “being otaku”, as well as look-downs towards anime-music as bad music as well as Figure buyers as perverts.

37. Linya
    Posted May 4, 2008 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

well I thought anime was pretty stupid too at first. It was actually reading Fruits Basket the manga version, then seeing the anime of that, that convinced me it wasn’t a kid thing or particularly bad.

I think shows like Howl’s Moving Castle, Spirited Away, and Fullmetal Alchemist are gradually changing some people’s view of anime in my area, but they still consider these exceptions which is a bit annoying, because they’re missing some of the great ones.

38. sara
    Posted May 4, 2008 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

Actually, about 1/2 of what’s above is correct – most American animation (w/ the larger budget) ARE more impressive, some anime ARE stupid/immature/for children, some series ARE sexist, and some, I’m sure you know, ARE way too sexually graphic. It’s these things that drag the whole anime universe down. Although many claim that the epics: like your examples Lain or Simoun (actually, that series exploited females too) are profound and that other animations are no where near them, there’s still a handful of things that ruin the anime image. No matter how many examples of good anime there are out there, it doesn’t matter because they’ll always be just as many bad ones (that hurt your eyes when you view them)

39. Igcis
    Posted May 4, 2008 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

Is that picture fan-made or is it actually from an anime? Because that looks like a n awesome anime if it is from one.

40. Qbert
    Posted May 4, 2008 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

the truth is I think most people do not hate anime at all and I think your topic is way off base.

The problem with anime for most people is not anime. Anime is way to diverse and there is something for everyone as far as anime is concerned

What people actually hate about anime is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The loser anime otaku, the model kit collecting, cosplay wearing fanboy who never grows up and lives in his moms basement. THe losers that even a prostitute would turn down. This is what people hate about anime.

This is what people really hate about anime.

Once the fanboy virus strikes a genre, people have a tendency to run. Being associated with geeks and nerds is the stink of death to most people and once any genre is infected with the geek virus. People will distance themselves from it like they would a hoare with leprosy

Anime is a victim of fanboism and thats the sad truth.

Just like Star Trek and Star Wars. and to some degree video games and many other genre’s the fanboy culture has taken route in anime

These fanatics are the true reason why people hate anime. Its not anime itself

In fact I remember when anime was not looked at that way

The time you could walk into a video store and purchase an anime and know one would care.

I rmember times when you could go to a night club and they would have anime running on tv xcreens while people danced on the dance floor

I remember when Hip-hop stars like Method Man, Redman, Rza and Cisco e.t.c said they liked anime

I remeber when a certain videostore was trying to be trendy and when they got there freshly new copy of urotusdoji decided they were going to have it run on there video screens all over the store not realizing that it was a hentai.

That last comment really did happen.

I remmber having conversations with guys and talking about chicks we were banging, shit we did that weekend and among other things anime.

Anime at one time used to be considered edgy!!!!!

But once the fanboys invaded it

everyone ran for the hills

and thats just sad!!!!!!

41. Blue
    Posted May 5, 2008 at 12:04 am | Permalink

Personally, I’ve never came across much anime hate (in real life that is) If I ever mention it off-hand the response either:
    A)Aww, you like the kiddy stuff? How cute.
    B) Huh? Yeah, anime’s cool, I guess
    or C) ZOMG! ANIME! I have found another of my kind!

If people think anime is the east’s invasion of the west, what about Mcdonalds as the west’s invasion of…I don’t know, the entire world?

42. Posted May 5, 2008 at 12:07 am | Permalink

(Head boils up to more than 1000000000 degrees Celsius) Too bad if he doesn’t like anime. Not everything he says is right. Besides, I think American cartoons are more stupid than some anime shows, and some anime shows are more stupid than American cartoons, I MEAN it. Well, if he doesn’t like it, then it’s up to him.

43. Posted May 5, 2008 at 1:02 am | Permalink

No!! I come here and there’s already 42 comments ahead of me?! I like being one of the first ones >_>

Anyone, most of my friends from school hate anime and when I put up posters to advertise our anime&drama club I overheard some people saying that they wanted to rip it up and throw it away!

44. Babbo
    Posted May 5, 2008 at 3:30 am | Permalink

I’m confused. Most anime is made for kids. Well, teenagers to be specific. People that freak out over that point need to get over themselves. It’s not just a western view point that watching anime is for geeks and kids . As for animation, if you’re talking frame rates western animation is undenibaly better than anime that’s a simple fact.

45. bamboowitch
    Posted May 5, 2008 at 4:29 am | Permalink

I am so glad my ethnic origin is Chinese and that my mum and my gran loves anime :P
    Because I would feel so..silly if I used to think like that.
    But then again before I immediately thought hentai and yaoi were just ‘XXX’ but they’re not… well i don’t know about hentai XD I’ll leave that for my brother to tell me in several years time :P

Anime is great because it isn’t a ‘genre’ as some people believe- its just about all media being animated- for children, teens and adults. For horror fans, for rom-com fans etc etc

46. Posted May 5, 2008 at 5:31 am | Permalink

To Riex: Then why bother writing in this blog? Might as well make yourself another one and get along with life…Don’t see the point you are stiff writing in this blog and say that you hate anime…

47. Risedawn
    Posted May 5, 2008 at 6:40 am | Permalink

To Riex:
    I Suggest u take those words back. Even though I’m an anime fan Aka Otaku, I have a life and currently I’m serving the army. So if you wanna comment about something, know the whole story first.

48. Posted May 5, 2008 at 7:08 am | Permalink

Ermm, to RV and Risedawn, he is obviously being sarcastic about the haters and making a parody out of it. Chill. ^^

Sarcasm is lost when I have to point it out. Sigh, you two are a bit slow huh :P

49. Posted May 5, 2008 at 7:13 am | Permalink

So much hate. For what?? Cant they understand that this is also a form of ENTERTAINMENT!!!
    STEREOTYPES AND PREJUDICE FTW!! NOT!!!!

50. Posted May 5, 2008 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

“I didn’t come into any true anime viewing until my university at 21….I do not cosplay, cosplay events do not interest me, i don’t play much ero-games, i don’t have much merchandise, i don’t worship Japan, i could care less about meido cafes and I do not think japanese culture is superior. There’s many do not right there.”

*Checks to see if someone has made an unauthorized clone made of me*

OK, so I was 22 instead of 21 when I started watching, but still…

One Trackback

• By anime graphics on May 31, 2008 at 8:42 pm

[...] It??s the phrase Naruto. Before you think that this is an entry that I will go about bashing or whttp://www.thatanimeblog.com/2008/05/04/why-do-you-hate-anime-so-much-why/’Racer’ hits primary colors slick and crashes South Bend TribuneEvil is not a primary [...]