After looking through Impz’s posts on good anime, I’m going to start writing one of the anime I hate to the core and Ragnarok fans, please do not kill me after reading it, or rather you should not read this post at all (Avoid it, then) for your own safety and perhaps health. Present you one of the anime I hate in my entire life, Ragnarok the Animation!!! I’ve come up with reasons to back it up why I hate it even people say it’s good.
In the naked eye, i can already see Takius’s underwear. Really. And the show’s not for kids either.
And don’t let that dazzling and that stunning wallpaper fool you to watch the show either. I first started watching it after looking at screenshots and pictures of it and then forced myself to start watching the 26 episodes (The entire season, but I stopped at episode 24 to take a break because all the trouble started when the episodes gets darker and nearer to the end). After forcing myself to watch it, I was like ‘Whew! The show finally ended and I will never watch another episode of Ragnarok again as long as I live. Never judge a book by it’s cover.’
What the series is about:
Taking place in a ficticious world of Rune-Midgard (Reminds me of Midgar of Final Fantasy VII) Roan, Yuufa, Maya, Takius, Iruga and Judia were travelling the place to stop an evil entity named the Dark Lord (The name, geez! Where does the originality goes nowadays?) who will create chaos in Rune-Midgard with the help of 7 crystals of Strength that represent the 7 deadly sins which sealed him away hundreds of years ago.
And that is it. Pretty simple, yeah?
The reasons, they’re really simple:
1. The hero Roan, he is a lame guy and only develops pretty late in the series. His hair cut? Almost to a degree of being a prisoner and then his looks are below average. I wonder why Yuufa, the priestess like him very much (Even though her late brother said that he will protect her). You read too many fairy tales Yuufa. Sometimes I wonder if all MMORPG anime adaptations are so stereotype, like MapleStory. I really hoped for something with more character development and really wish the looks of the characters are better, especially Maya the merchant (The wannabe loli, acts like one but not. I hate her the most in the entire series) and Iruga the assassin (He’s a emo wearing a Goth costume under his pink and white bandages.)
2. Roan is thinking dirty. It’s not purely for kids if they are watching it (In one of the episodes, he was thinking dirty of all the girls in his party to go to the beach one day and take out all their bikini tops. I think the people who did it should think twice of making that scene, and some of the characters have big boobs (Look at Takius the mage and Judia the archer, see how big they are?). It’s inappropriate for kids to see some of the scenes in RtA. Luckily Maya is young and doesn’t have big boobs or else this show is flooded with fan-service with big boobs in the entire series. (Almost most of the female characters in the series have big boobs, with the exception of Maya, Yuufa and Alice and some other girls) There seem to be more female characters in the story than male characters.
3. Things get almost hopeless and dark in the later episodes, as if we are thinking that the story will be a twist of fate. All the heroes die and then the bad guys take over the world. Speaking of bad guys, I wish the bad guys are not so stereotype and the idea of the bad guys gets a little fresher. The originality of the story is almost zlich, leaving me almost sleeping while the show is on. But I was lucky that I forced myself to sit and watch the entire season.
THE SHOW IS FLOODED WITH BIG BOOBS!!! Help me!!!
4. It’s like half of the stuff is ripped out from the game. The spells (God, one of the elements I hate the most.) are like you just say the name of the spell out loud and then the spell is cast. I wish there is a challange in the part which they cast all their spells, rather than just shouting them out loud. The music can be easliy forgotten and now I do not remember them. And sometimes things can be confusing that made my mind hurts.
5. The monsters, just hack and slash like a game. Most of them are like just mushrooms, small sprites and are just too cute to be monsters. I thought the monsters in the anime should be a bit scarier but not this scary (Rather, they are NOT scary at all, with the exception of some and Baphomet the talking monster.)
6. The character I liked the most is the shapeshifter witch that appeared in front of Roan sometimes in the series. She’s unlike the other characters who get rash easily (Except for Takius) and has the charisma in which she is a wise lady who teach moral values to others who are inexperienced. Other than her, I liked no one else.
The animation and art are above average and there will be some humour expected (But also expected fan-service, which is big boobs). From the start you will see some big boobs but when you get into the story further you will get used to it. If you are bored watching too much good anime, you should get a balance of good and bad anime and watch it if you are the type who like fan-service, magic and good quality art.
I’m already bored with fan-service. And never judge an anime by it’s cover.
But what I hate about this anime overall is that MMORPGs make very bad anime adaptations. I also do not like visual novels themselves expecially the eroge and H ones but they made a good anime adapation themselves (I mean the plot, not the art) with drama and personal conflict (There’s Kanon, Air, Clannad [maybe except for this, with no content that is inappropriate for kids], Shuffle!, Myself;Yourself, ToHeart etc.) the characters must go through. Even light novels can do better than that other than TMOHS (Haruhi fans will know what it is). The story is pretty plain itself in my preference, I don’t like the art style the character design has drawn (Makes me think that I should stick to the Ragnarok manhwa from now on.) and you could get tired of watching halfway through the series.
I demand you to stop harassing Yuufa with stabbing her with a sword Roan! She has a bad bad day already and get a life!