Yeah, you read it right. THREE-POINT-OHHHHH! Lols. So Impz (despite numerous threats about me disappearing in 2 months due to laziness or alien kidnappings) has allowed me to run rampant all over the site. That’s half the reason I wanted to write here (the other half being our fantastic readers…duh!). To make things short, part of that rampant running has lead to the development of…
A NEW THEME!!!
Honestly, there couldn’t be a more perfect time for it. Spring is here and Shinigami-sama is busy hauling away all manner of dead things, while fresh ideas and innovation are rolling around the brains of bloggers and readers alike. With no further ado, here’s a preview of the theme along with a couple of pics to stir up a bit of excitement and maybe create some new ideas.
NOTE: I’m writing this both for the bloggers AND the readers. Everything may not apply to you, but it applies to THAT, so I guess in the end, it still matters. What I want to ask you, the reader, as you dive into this new theme is: what do you want out of THAT? What features do you always wish we would get, and which ones do you never even bother with?
I’m going to try to be super concise with all this.
- I know it says 2.0 right now. Corrections will guarantee you a nice big *MEGA-ANRGY DRILL!!* to the face.
- The goal: Keep a similar layout to the current THAT theme in order to decrease confusion for…well, everyone. General housekeeping (getting rid of things we no longer want/need), implementation of new features, and going for a more “2008/Web 2.0″ look while still maintaining legibility and remembering that we are, at the heart, a text-driven website.
- After some descusion, we decided to stick with a lighter theme (*cough* Calawain). If I can get a proper theme switcher going without to much trouble, you may see some darker options available in the future.
- POSTS ARE WIDER. While the bulky side bar has been slimed down a bit. The site’s total width remains unchanged. (for bloggers, new post width is 690px)
- More distinguished footer.
- Footer now contains all “meta” data (Login, RSS Feeds, etc). This frees up space on the sidebar, and we figure you’re all smart enough to keep up with it. I’ll more than likely add an additional Login link near the top of the page for convenience.
- Just gives you an idea of the space between posts, as well as a better look at the sidebar.
- Fonts are along the same lines as those currently used in THAT (web standard default fonts that should be viewable on any computer).
- NOTE: the post content moves up, while the post title, info, and etc move into the sidebar.
- Along with the generic post info, all your RSS options, pings, trackbacks, andetc are also right there with the post title.
- Another added feature is the option to view all post by the current author (aside from the usual implemented option on the normal sidebar).
- There are commenting/trackback/rss options at the bottom of the post.
- “Browse Timeline” lets you navigate to the next and previous posts, as indicated by the arrows.
- Comments are effective, but nothing too crazy.
- Just a quick glimpse of what it looks like when you click to read all entries by a certain author.
I just woke up, and I’ve got a whole days worth of continued work with this theme ahead of me, so my apologies if this doesn’t come across as the most amazing post ever. Just wanted to throw it out there a see what kind of feedback I can get before the theme goes live. When the theme does go live, there will be some site downtime, and as with new technological upgrade, there are bound to be bugs and etc that need to be worked out for a week or two. I’m counting on you guys for help/support.
So post away…rip it apart, praise it, scoff at it, love it, whatever…just comment.
You can view a demo of the live version at residualmadness.com!
I’m off to go take a walk before I parasitically attach myself to my computer again. (btw…there may not be a ONE-Shot War this week…I know, I know…don’t cry too hard.)