It’s been quite awhile since I’ve done one of these posts, mostly because we’ve had a ton of content coming out. However, with THAT recently turning into the Crusader and Calawain blog, I’m going to give you my opinions on a multiple shows at once. Sucks to be you. I brought back last year’s winter impressions format and theme because I love desserts. I could really go for some cheesecake now regardless.
Hearty Apple Pies
Shows continued from the fall season- solid, long-lasting goodness
1) Clannad ~After Story~- I knww what’s going to happen, but I still bawwwwww’d during episodes 16 and 18 (frankly, when I played this part in the VN I was a wreck for the rest of the day). And you know what? It’s going to get far worse before it gets better -_- I can’t really help myself, the only sappy shows I can find myself enjoying these days are those done by KeyAni.
2) Tytania- I think trying to hold it up to the standard of Legend of Galactic Heroes is kind of unfair. While both shows are epic space operas, this one focuses more on a smaller group of people. Lord knows I had trouble remembering all the names in LOGH. In its own right I find Tytania to be more lighthearted and fun, with jokers and scoundrels lite as the main characters. On the other hand, it has enough scheming and politics on the Tytanian side to keep me wondering what’s going to happen next. Jouslain’s putting down of two rebellions stand out to me as great examples of this.
3) Gundam 00- G00 is so stupid at times, but I can’t help watching. Not to sound cliché, but I believe this is just more evidence for the Sunrise Trainwreck Theory. There’s boatloads of plotholes, emo and angst, retarded characters, and tech wars, but I’m always curious as to what stupid crap they will come up with. And Sunrise never disappoints with the action, providing us with a healthy serving of explosions and beam sabers in pretty, pretty HD.
4) To Aru Majutsu no Index - This show had a ton of potential to start off with, but it has been bogged down by a tendency to go with heavy doses of exposition. A great example is Kaori in episode 17 spends an inordinate amount of time talking out loud in the middle of a fight, seemingly trying to explain to her mute opponent the intricacies of her fighting style. Despite that, the characters in this show are simply amazing. I’m sure my frequent readers can guess at my two favorite characters in this show~ First is BiriBiri, who got me all hot and bothered last episode with her dere dere (what didn’t help the situation was the simultaneous release of an English translation of a really hot BiriBiri doujin). Second, Kaori is amazingly hot, lord that bath scene certainly got me riled up.
5) Toradora- Still watching for now because it’s hard to drop a show when you’ve already watched more than half the episodes, but I’m not particularly excited about how it has all turned out. The show started off with some great promise of lighthearted comedy and the loveliness that is Ami. Now it has devolved into melodramatic crap I couldn’t care less about.
Strawberry Topped Cheesecake
The best of the winter field- tasty, rich and sweet
1) Maria+Holic- If this show was just the OP on repeat for 20 minutes I’d still like it, if only to hear her moaning “ha, haaa~” Aside from that you’ll have to read my posts on the subject, but suffice it to say if you aren’t watching this lesbian and trap-filled comedy of epic proportions, you are seriously missing out.
2) Chrome Shelled Regios- It’s very RPGish, but that can be a good thing as I’m a huge fan of console RPGs. And when I say RPG here, I’m going more for Final Fantasy rather than Fallout. There’s a bit of emo and “oh I don’t want to fight” but it’s relatively mild compared to a lot of shows out there. It has a great soundtrack when the action starts, and Felli is just lovely and quite charming.
3) Minami-Ke: Okaeri- Like most people I dug the first season and found the second mildly irritating. The third season falls somewhere in between, with enough to keep me watching but not really blowing me away. Personally, I want more Hosaka, but I am quite satisfied with all of the Kana service as of late. I likes me the genki boss.
4) Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo- Obviously, this show should not be taken seriously at all. There’s always a spot each season for that one show that’s silly but a good time nonetheless. Lelouch turned into a mentally unstable AI along with pretty girls and high budget animation from Sunrise puts on an entertaining show to say the least.
Winter shows on the borderline- sometimes good, but you have to be in the mood for it
1) Asu no Yoichi- The tsundere is pedestrian, the female lead is a cliche violent anti-pervert, and I hate “de gozaru” samurai speech. But I occasionally find it somewhat amusing and I get to hear Yukari Tamura do her boku voice. It’s one of those shows you are kind of embarrassed to tell people you watch. Good thing I’m telling a few thousand people.
2) Marimite- I really do not watch this show as intended, because all of the contrived melodrama and angst actually makes me laugh. I don’t really find this show dramatic at all, it’s entirely predictable, but it’s fun laughing at how prim and proper quasi-lesbians worry about the stupidest crap. I used to watch it because Sei was awesome, but at least now twin drills keeps me watching.